www.sunshinesummitlodge.net - Drug Treatment and Alcohol Rehabilitation Programs
(855) 734-2223

A man has agreed to a 12-year prison sentence for making methamphetamine at his Kingsford Heights home where a girl was seriously burned after drinking some of the suspected ingredients.

Lowe would also serve four years probation after his release.

Terms of the plea give Lowe the ability to request a reduced sentence if he successfully completes substance abuse treatment while incarcerated and demonstrates progress at rehabilitation and education.

A 5-year-old girl complained about not feeling well after she drank what was believed to be cough medicine given to her by a babysitter in the home.

She began foaming at the mouth arriving at the hospital unconscious and placed on a ventilator to assist with her breathing.

The girl also sustained burns to her face, arms and hands from her skin coming into contact with body fluids from her vomiting the poison.

The girl after a several week hospital stay is now home continuing with her recovery.

Kingsford Heights Town Marshal Chris Fine said he talked to the girl's family several times last year with his last contact being late in 2011.

He said the girl was still making quite a few outpatient trips to Indianapolis and having occasional difficulties with things like coughing spells and respiratory problems.

The girl had also received a skin healing cloth to promote healing where she was burned.

Fine also said the poison was later identified as hydrochloric acid, one of the ingredients in the drug.

According to court documents, police responding to the poisoning found evidence of methamphetamine being made inside and outside the home.

Lawson, 45, had recently moved in with Lowe and his wife and brought the girl over despite knowing methamphetamine was being manufactured there, police said.

She administered the poison the girl believing it was cough medicine.

In February, Lawson was sentenced to four years in the LaPorte County Jail and six years on probation.

Fine said what happened to the girl is one of the risks of making the deadly highly addictive drug.

"Nothing was done on purpose. Nobody intended for this to happen," Fine said.